Skip to content

May 24 2012

Pet Friendly Gardens as seen by a Sudbury Animal Hospital– Part II

        Sudbury Animal Hospital Lists More Toxic Garden/Yard Plants

 At the Barrydowne Animal Hospital, a Sudbury Animal Hospital, we know that gardening plays a significant role in the outdoor lives of many inNorthern Ontario.  Therefore, we have compiled a Part II list to our original list of toxic garden and yard plants for pets.  Our Sudbury Animal Hospital knows you care for your pets and want you to be as informed as possible before introducing any plants into your yard.  Hopefully these lists will enable your pets to stay safe and your yard to flourish!!  Happy Gardening!!

 1)      Tulips – While they are quite common in Ontario gardens, our Sudbury Animal Hospital wants you to know that the bulbs are the most toxic component and affect both dogs and cats.  So once again if you have a digger at home, keep them away from this plant.  Symptoms include, gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of central nervous system, seizures, and cardiac abnormalities.

2)       Potatoes – They are very delicious when cooked but the potato sprouts and green potatoes are toxic to both dogs and cats.  Look for dry mouth, intestinal irritation, dilated pupils, and increased heart rate

3)      Rhubarb – Many gardeners will use gloves when handling this plant as the toxins are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream.  The leaves are toxic to dogs, cats, and humans.  Symptoms are excessive drooling, vomiting, staggering, abdominal pain, and seizures.

4)      Cocoa Mulch – While it helps to dress up your garden and smells wonderful, it is toxic to both dogs and cats and could potentially be lethal.  Our Sudbury Animal Hospital says that in small doses it can cause stomach upset and muscle tremors and high doses can cause seizures and death.

5)      Corn – It is the corn plant that is toxic to both dogs and cats.  Look for any bloody vomit, depression, increased salvation, decreased appetite, and dilated pupils.

6)      Onion & Garlic – Yes these plants are both great for adding pizzazz and flavour to your meal but these plants are toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.  Our Sudbury Animal Hospital would like to point out that cats are more sensitive and symptoms may be exaggerated.  Keep an eye out for panting, increased heart rate, weakness, and blood in urine.

7)      Branching Ivy – Great for decorating but toxic to dogs, cats, and horses with the foliage being more toxic than the berries.  Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and increased drooling

8)      Buttercup – A favorite flower for young children to play with but toxic to cats, dogs, and horses.  Symptoms are diarrhea, vomiting, depression, anorexia, increased drooling, and staggering.

9)      Hibiscus – Our Sudbury Animal Hospital states that this plant is toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.  Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and anorexia.

10)    Mums – This plant is toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.  Look for vomiting, diarrhea, increased drooling, in-coordination, and skin irritation.

Our Sudbury Animal Hospital also suggests when using any pesticides and pellets to read all product labels and stick with products that are pet friendly and organic.   If you think your pet has ingested any of these plants and/or are displaying any symptoms of plant poisoning, please contact our Sudbury Animal Hospital at 705-566-4243 or your veterinarian immediately, as early detection and treatment can often make a difference in recovery.  For more information you can also visit our website at www.barrydowneanimalhospital.com or our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BarrydowneAnimalHospital.  Happy Spring and safe gardening from the staff at the Barrydowne Animal Hospital!!

karenr | Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *